Working in Audit means much more than just analysing numbers, we really get to know our clients by building close relationships with key individuals there in order to help them and their investors to better understand their financial performance, business systems, culture and the risks they face and then to provide crucial advice to them in these areas.
Our structured Initial Professional Development programme will help you to develop your career in whichever direction it takes by supporting you to study for your professional qualifications (ACA or CA) whilst working in different industry sectors and locations in the UK and abroad. You will work as a part of a team, all of whom will be highly supportive, and there are plenty of opportunities to socialise together as well. Many people choose to specialise in an industry sector, perhaps even gaining a reputation as a leading expert in their field, or alternatively choose to become a generalist usually in one of our regional office, looking after clients across a range of sectors.
As a Trainee Auditor your Programme is a 3 year structured programme around working and studying. You will study towards an appropriate qualification, usually either the ACA (from the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales) or the CA (from ICAS) in Scotland.
In TRA, we are both technology assurance partners and advisors for our clients. Our wide experience in managing technology risk coupled with deep expertise in areas such as information security (including cyber risks), data analytics, systems and processes allows us to help our clients deploy technology in confidence, knowing that risk exposure is minimised and that their technology environments are optimally managed.Our team is trusted to give professional advice to senior client stakeholders, whilst using their own initiatives and expertise to support BDO in identifying new opportunities for business development and growth. You will be part of one of the fastest growing areas within BDO, a diverse team with a desire to succeed.
Should you gain a place on our TRA Graduate Programme you will spend your first 12 months studying towards to your CFAB qualification, following which we will discuss with you the appropriate qualification path – either to continue with your ACA or a combination of CISA, C-RISC and Prince 2. This is subject to change
Business Area Overview
The role of a TRA graduate includes:
- Understanding and documenting client systems environments relevant to the audited financial statements
- Identifying and evaluating the design and operating effectiveness of client controls for managing risks around information security, change management, computer operations, and system design and development
- Providing advice to clients on how to improve their technology control environment, reduce risk and optimise operating efficiency
- Developing a comprehensive understanding of the principles of technology risk, the context of risk allowing you to work with clients to identify and mitigate that risk
- Undertaking detailed compliance-based audits of technology environments
- Becoming a subject matter expert in established and emerging risk areas such as enterprise solutions, cyber security, data protection, IT resilience, project assurance and information security; being sought out and deployed on engagements on the basis of that subject matter expertise
- Developing an understanding of tools and methodologies for analysing large volumes of data; working with clients to use data analytics for providing key insights to their business; supporting firm-wide initiatives for the use of data analytics in enhancing our own methodologies and frameworks
- Using your insights and knowledge to help BDO develop new solutions and initiatives that reflect the changing pace of technology and the technologies of the future
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
- A minimum 2.2 degree in any discipline;
- 3 A Levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
- A*- C at GCSE in Maths & English LanguageWe are looking for candidates who demonstrate strengths which are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and Others & Decision Making.
BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 17 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
BDO gives trainees all the training they need to attain their professional qualifications, along with extensive practical experience that includes on-site client work. The firm provides constant support to help you achieve your potential.
‘Achieving My Potential’ is BDO’s organisational framework. It is made up of 4 key elements – core competencies, technical competencies, values and attitude. In essence, what you do and how you do it.