DSG is one of the leading independent accountancy and advisory firms in the North West.
We work with a wide variety of small, medium and larger businesses and private clients, together with specialist teams who serve the not-for-profit sector and professional practices from solicitors to doctors and dentists, providing a tailored service.
We are proud to be members of DFK International, a global association of like-minded accounting firms enabling us to help clients with international needs, from overseas property to foreign subsidiaries.
Headquartered in Liverpool, we have almost 100 staff working across two offices in Liverpool City Centre and North Wales.
Our mission is: “To be the firm of choice in our chosen markets.”
We are a growing firm and always on the lookout for dynamic individuals. If you are keen, self-motivated and value working in a collaborative and supportive environment then DSG may be the place for you to start or further your career.
We are proud of our friendly and inclusive culture and our core values of honesty, integrity and a dedication to client service.
Graduate Training Programme
Our graduate training programme guarantees our trainees invaluable, hands-on, practical experience with a range of different clients. You’ll combine this practical experience with studying towards either the ICAEW, ACCA or CTA qualification via the Level 7 Accountancy Professional apprenticeship
Purpose of an Audit and Accounts Trainee
As an Audit and Accounts Trainee, your role is to provide assistance in analysing clients’ financial records and summarise or test these records in accordance with accounting standards. These accounting standards form an integral part of your studies.
Your time will be split between working at client premises, working in the office and studying for your professional exams.
During your first year, you will support an Audit Senior at client premises or work under the guidance of a Manager or Senior in the office. The Senior will assign your work throughout the time you are onsite and will be with you in case you have any questions. You will gain exposure to a number of different industries and organisations.
As an Audit and Accounts Trainee, you will carry out various duties within the Audit team, and where necessary, other departments. You will also gain experience of accounts preparation and audit work to complement your studies.
Typical daily tasks would include:
- Carrying out audit and accounts assignments either in the office or at clients’ premises.
- Carrying out basic accounts preparation work for a wide range or clients.
- Checking or analysing client’s financial information, purchase and sales invoices
- Checking bank balances and bank statements
- Reviewing client payroll records for accuracy
- Ensuring sound knowledge of a client and its industry by researching background information and useful publications
- Developing communication skills and build relationships with clients and colleagues
- Utilising audit software
- Developing and applying technical knowledge gained from studies and on the job experience
- Attending in-house technical training as required
- Having an awareness of the various services provided by DSG
- Ensuring timesheets are completed on a weekly basis
Profile of Candidates
The Audit & Accounts Trainee will be a graduate with a minimum of:
- 2:1 degree (ideally)
- 120 UCAS Tariff points or equivalent
- Level 6 GCSE Maths
- Level 5 English
First class communication skills, both oral and written, are required as is an organised and professional approach to work.
A willingness and commitment to study for ACA examinations is essential.
Whilst a strong academic record is desirable we also welcome applications from those who have experienced something different in life, whether it be through volunteering, part-time work, the Duke of Edinburgh scheme, team sports or other activities where you can demonstrate leadership, problem-solving, co-operation and a “can do” attitude.
We offer a competitive benefits package to our trainees as follows:
- Starting salary of £19,000 per annum, rising upon exam success
- Holidays of 20 days per annum plus bank holidays
- Medicash healthcare cash plan
- Pension scheme provision – 5% employee contribution and 4.5% employer contribution
- Life assurance cover @ 3 x salary
- Full study support