Overview of Firm
PKF is the 11th largest accountancy brand and the 9th largest audit practice in the UK. We are also an active member of PKF International, a global network of legally independent accounting firms that gives us an on the ground presence in 150 countries around the world with access to more than 20,000 people across 440 offices globally.
We provide a full range of audit, accountancy, tax and advisory services, and are experts at simplifying complexity. We are particularly well-known for working with complex clients with challenging issues in fast-moving and highly technical areas, such as the insurance industry, the global capital markets and the not for profit sector. Our aim is to understand people, the organisations they run, and what matters to them, so we can simplify complexity and help them achieve their ambitions.
Introduction to Business Services
We are the 2nd largest auditor of AIM listed companies and the 6th largest of all LSE companies with over 130 on either the Main Market or AIM. In the last 5 years we have grown significantly in the listed audit market by focussing on delivering consistent quality and making all our clients feel valued.
The team also work with a number of large, multinational private businesses across many sectors with varying regulatory and reporting requirements, and we have specialist knowledge of a range of industries – from natural resource companies, tech companies, professional practices and retailers.
You could be involved in the audit of any organisation from a listed company to working with owner-managed businesses. With every audit, you’ll gain a deeper insight into each stage of the process, and a broader view of the businesses we work for. As your experience grows, so will your opportunities.
Purpose and aim of the job is to begin to develop a knowledge of accounting and auditing techniques and show commitment to passing the professional examinations.
- Undertake the work allocated by the assignment leader
- Keep the assignment leader informed about progress at daily meetings
- Ensure attendance at briefing meetings and understand the audit plan
- Complete the work within the budget for each area
- Adopt high professional standards with a business-like approach to work
- Develop a comprehensive working knowledge of double entry bookkeeping
- Be able to complete sections in the audit file by obtaining and documenting sufficient and appropriate audit evidence, to include the following sections:
- Fixed assets section
- Bank section
- Document accounting systems and complete systems testing
- Substantive testing on the Profit and Loss analysis – including attention to tax requirements
- Develop a basic knowledge of current accounting standards
- Pass relevant professional examinations first time
- Be able to advise on basic accounting issues
- Be aware of Institute and internal ethical guidelines
- To accept responsibility for all work performed and to follow up to ensure completion
- Willing to accept feedback/development points and action it
- Minimum of a 2.1 degree, attained or expected. Please note if you have a Master’s in Accounting or Finance you will not be eligible for this position. You can apply to our Business Outsourcing or Tax role instead.
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points (2017 tariff), from three A Levels (excluding general studies), or equivalent.
- Be commercially aware
- Computer literate
- Team player
- Good communication skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Able to work on own initiative
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Work to deadlines
- Ability to spot new business
- Problem solver