As an Indirect Tax trainee you can expect to be involved in a wide variety of tasks covering both VAT compliance and VAT advisory. There is no daily routine and the nature of the role means it is varied and challenging. You will have regular client contact and would be expected to liaise with Indirect Tax experts across the BDO network, as increasingly Indirect Tax problems are international in nature.
The role supports qualification for CTA (Chartered Tax Advisor) as the work is legal and opinion based. The wide range of client issues that you will be involved in provides an excellent training ground.
BDO fully support technical and personal development and you would be encouraged to carry out your own research from the outset.
Business Area Overview
The VAT team advise a wide variety of clients from owner managed businesses to multi-national corporations. Their work is predominantly advisory with a relatively small amount of compliance and typical VAT work includes:
• Advising businesses on the impact of VAT on different business models and structures
• Advising business on the impact of overseas VAT on supply chains
• Dispute resolution where HMRC have taken a contrary view of the VAT treatment applied by a business. This can involve negotiations with the HMRC or litigation.
• Advice on VAT structuring to achieve an advantageous position commercially
• Some compliance work – usually carrying out risk reviews or pulling together VAT return figures for international clients
2:1 degree in any discipline
280 UCAS Points or equivalent, excluding General Studies
Grade B or above in GCSE Maths and English