BDO is an award-winning, UK Member Firm of BDO International , the world’s fifth largest accountancy network with more than 1,000 offices in over 100 countries, including affiliates. We specialise in helping businesses to achieve their goals and adhere to strong values and a One Firm approach. Our strength in the market place is mirrored in our achievements – Accountancy Age Audit, Tax and Corporate finance team of the year, FT Best Workplaces, highest new entry in Times Top 100 Graduate Employees; to name a few of our recent accolades. Our people work within an extremely supportive and creative environment, and are equipped and empowered to deliver exceptional service. Developing strong, personal relationships with our clients is at the forefront of our service approach and you’ll find that BDO is a truly innovative and forward thinking place to work.
A Trainee within the BS&A Department will form part of the team servicing a broad range of diverse businesses working both on site and in the office, ensuring that all aspects of the assignment are completed on time and within budget. Trainees will be expected to study for and complete an accounting qualification over a 5 year period, and will be supported, developed and supervised by senior members of the BS&A group.
Trainees joining us on the School Leaver Programme will spend 2 years working in the business and during that time will study towards the AAT qualification. Following the successful completion of AAT, you will be given the opportunity to study towards the ACCA qualification over the next 3 years, becoming a fully qualified chartered certified accountant within 5 years.
Business Area Overview
- To work in a team servicing clients compliance requirements and to demonstrate proactive thinking and informed decision making.
• Prepare analysis of accounting data from client’s books and records.
• Draw up accounting records into statutory financial statements ensuring disclosures
support the underlying performance.
• Calculate draft corporation tax liabilities and liaise with local tax team to facilitate review.
• Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate accounting and tax evidence.
• Active adherence to budget and timetable, bringing matters to the attention of the senior or manager, particularly when actual time is in excess of budget.
• Involvement in the planning, execution and finalisation of the assignment supporting the Executive or Manager. Taking responsibility for the quality and efficiency of the assignment.
• Ensure compliance with internal quality standards and firmwide guidelines.
• Identify and understand client needs, including sometimes providing initial solutions to client challenges, then communicating these needs and solutions to the Executive or Manager.
• Build strong relationships with new and established clients.
• Carry out ad hoc assignments as may be reasonably required by your group.
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by your group.
• Coaching and assisting more junior trainees on the team, both at client premises and in the office.
• Participate in group, stream and firm wide activities.
In line with our 2017 Trainee Programme entry requirements for our School Leaver Programme candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
- 3 A levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
- A* – C at GCSE in Maths & English Language