At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. The one year placement is a structured training programme combining practical experience with numerous opportunities to increase your skill set.
What will I be doing?
Many businesses need to reassure investors and other stakeholders on their financial performance, even where a full audit isn’t necessary, appropriate, or required by law. We provide wide-reaching financial advisory services to international clients across a number of industries and a diverse client base, ranging from small businesses and family enterprise start-ups to non-profit organisations.
As part of our Assurance & Business Services team you could be working directly with managing and financial directors, checking that numbers stack up with fact. This means providing advice and solutions that really make a difference.
Many of our audits last just one or two weeks, which means you’ll quickly gain exposure to a variety of businesses. You’ll also build valuable client experience, developing the knowledge and skills needed to be an effective auditor and trusted business adviser. Alongside your work, you’ll receive first-class professional training as you study for the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification, which will enable you to gain a full understanding of the technical aspects of audit and accountancy and additional financial advisory services.
Responsibilities of the Trainee Chartered Accountant position could include:
- Work as part of a team to undertake a variety of audit and accountancy tasks
- Develop an understanding of our client’s and their businesses
- Complete audit programmes and form conclusions on each individual test and section completed
- Understand from your manager the scope of tasks allocated and objectives to be achieved
- Keep seniors and managers fully informed of any issues and problems, ensure work is completed to a level agreed with the manager and record clearly and concisely work done
- Become familiar with our audit and accounting software
- Resolve queries whether of an audit or accountancy nature
- Prioritising tasks whilst monitoring time against budget
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Must have or be on course for at least a 2:1 honours degree in any discipline
- 300 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English and maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B