At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Our team offers forensic accounting and forensic technology services on a wide range of contentious matters including dispute resolution, fraud and bribery investigations, personal injury and insurance claims, both in the UK and internationally.
With a distinctive range of expertise and extensive links to the legal profession, we provide forensic services across numerous disciplines for both corporate and private clients. Our partners are acknowledged leaders in their own fields and combine this expertise with an understanding of the legal process and experience of acting as Expert Witnesses.
Our Forensic Services are finely tuned to meet the needs of those who instruct experts. Our partners are closely involved in cases and deliver expert evidence which is tailored to the needs of the parties.
What will I be doing?
The forensic trainee will work within the Forensics team, assisting with a wide range of cases, increasing their knowledge of the types of cases that we work on. The trainee will assist with analysis and statistical work, drafting letters, emails and sections of reports, as well as providing assistance with administrative duties.
Key responsibilities of the forensic accounting placement are:
- Gain an understanding of cases/investigations and assist with analytical and statistical work in order to help estimate potential losses
- Work in smaller teams – directly with highly experienced Partners/ADs
- Analyse Financial Statements, bank statements and other sources of information
- Opportunity to attend seminars and training courses to develop industry knowledge and enhance communication skills
- Plan workload in order to prioritise work and meet tight deadlines faced in the forensic services department
- Support qualified staff on more complex client situations
- Assist with administrative support as and when required
To be successful in this role you will:
- Analytical thinking: Be proficient in Excel and have interest to learn new applications.
- Detail: Have a high level of attention to detail.
- Judgement: Know how to deal with problems that arise, knowing when to involve the others, ability to think ahead and anticipate events.
- Planning / Organisation: Have the ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines
- Communication: Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, good grammar and spelling so as to be able to produce documents accurately, and to quality check the work of others.
- Client focus: Be able to build and maintain good relationships with clients. Have a high level of general commercial awareness.
- Team work: Have the ability to work in small teams and develop a good relationship with all partners, be flexible and willingness to help others.
- Experience: Preferably have some knowledge / experience of working in Forensic Services
- Enthusiasm: show willingness to learn and assist more senior members of the team
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages, Excel in particular and other databases
- Excellent communication skills
- Calm and able to work well in a pressurised environment with the ability to prioritise work
- Personable, confident and diplomatic, with a good sense of humour
- Comfortable using own initiative and able to work with limited supervision
- Able/willing to attend networking events and build up own network of key contacts
- Accurate and meticulous, attention to detail is essential