Accounting and Management
Essex Business School
What drives an organisation’s decision making? How can accounting improve business performance? Combine your interests in both accounting and management to gain a unique skills set and career advantage.
Accountants and managers must work closely to interpret financial data and influence business performance. By understanding how both commercial functions operate, their priorities and unique vocabulary, you can work more effectively as a team to deliver organisational success.
Through BSc Accounting and Management you gain a foundation in financial accounting, management accounting, financial management, management and organisation studies, with an opportunity to develop expertise in a chosen specialism.
You’ll gain a broad understanding of accounting and management through studying a range of topics including:
- accounting and financial reporting
- prepare financial statements in accordance with UK GAAP
- quantitative and qualitative management accounting systems
- management theory and practice
- organisational behaviour
- business strategy leadership
- human resource management
Our accounting and management degree will give you a strong grounding in financial and management accounting, with case studies applying accounting theory to practice. You learn how to manage people and organisations in complex global environments and develop the quantitative skills needed for strategic decision making. In your first year, you are also introduced to topics such as marketing and finance. This ensures you gain a broad knowledge of core business areas and concepts which you can use throughout your degree and future career. As your course develops, you can choose from selected optional modules to tailor the programme to your career aspirations. In your final year, you have the opportunity to put your knowledge into practice by completing an in-depth, independent research project or dissertation. This will give you the chance to further develop vital employability skills in areas of research, time management and critical thinking. BSc Accounting and Management is taught at Essex Business School. We are an internationally diverse school, committed to sustainable and ethical business practices.
Accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) for the purpose of exemptions from some professional examinations.
Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations through the Accredited degree accelerated route.
Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales (ICAEW) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
Completion of this course gives you accreditation exemptions from up to nine professional examination papers with The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
Depending on the module options you choose during your studies, you can currently obtain up to seven exemptions from professional examinations awarded by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
This course also enables you to take up to five exemptions for certificate level examinations offered by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
This means that you can gain a professional qualification by taking fewer exams when you graduate, giving your career a head start.
Why we’re great
- We are ranked in the Top 150 for Business and Economics in THE World University Rankings by Subject 2023.
- We teach you to be accountable, act ethically and make financial decisions that positively impact both organisations and society.
- This course gives you exemptions from many professional exams, giving a head start to your career.
Our expert staff
You are taught by a highly qualified, enthusiastic team of academics and experienced, relevant practitioners with wide-ranging research interests. Their research is used in your lectures and seminars so you learn about the latest issues impacting business today.
Our staff specialise in areas including:
- accounting and economic development in the public and third sectors
- regulation, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility
- human resource management
- supply chain management
- accounting and finance in developing economies
- finance and banking
- contemporary financial markets and their participants
- Corporate governance in developing countries
Professor Thankom Arun is an active researcher and Professor of Global Development and Accountability in the Accounting Group at Essex Business School. His interdisciplinary research aims to understand the uneven relationships in accounting, finance and development, with a focus on emerging nations. On our accounting degrees, you will benefit from Professor Arun’s contemporary research which informs his approach to the application of accountancy.
Our BSc Accounting and Management is based at our Colchester Campus. In our landmark Essex Business School building – the first zero carbon business school in the UK – you’ll see our sustainable approach to business first-hand. Set around a lush winter garden, are a wealth of inspiring teaching and study zones. Our custom designed building provides you with superb facilities:
- a state-of-the-art trading floor with Bloomberg Financial Market Labs, where you’ll gain hands-on experience and learn how to utilise live business data
- modern lecture theatres with ‘listen again’ recording to aid your study
- study pods and innovation booths for group working
- a café with and adjacent foyer to enjoy on-site fresh food and drink
- study skills workshops and advice
Our business school is located on the University’s Knowledge Gateway, where you may be able to take advantage of networking and work experience opportunities with businesses located on site.
Click below to find out more about the entry requirements, course structure, fees and funding, etc.