Established in 1933, Hillier Hopkins is one of the region’s leading independent and progressive Top 50 firms of chartered accountants. Serving London and the Home Counties, we operate a culture of innovation where training and development of our people is seen as key to our continued success. We are a socially responsible business and committed to making a positive contribution to our community. We are currently supporting the local charity Oli Mills Trust who raise money for teenage cancer. This year we have raised over £27,000 for the charity through various events supported by clients and staff. We continue to implement new measures to decrease our environmental impact and reduce wastage.
About the role
- Office based role with some Site visits
- Manage a portfolio of clients
- Review work completed, identify key issues and liaise with clients in an appropriate manner and style.
- Assisting on audits.
- Preparation of accounts from books and records.
- Develop a basic understanding of Caseware and Digita.
- Request feedback on performance.
- Raise invoices in accordance with agreed billing profile and chase for payment (where necessary).
- Engage in business development/networking events resulting in client referrals and meetings.
- Set budgets and negotiate fees with clients.
- Ensure ICAEW student records are routinely updated within timeframe deadlines set.
- Understands and demonstrates behaviours consistent with core values.
Key skills and behaviours required
- Organisational ability: Demonstrated by effective planning, ability to multi-task effectively, and to meet or exceed deadlines.
- Technical excellence: Being the acknowledged expert across the firm in a particular field and answering queries from all ranks of staff in that area. Must show the ability to research, generate supporting evidence, and document their opinion for future reference.
- Training & Development: To ensure the delivery of the firm’s training and development needs for the department/office. To mentor the team and progress their development. To impartially identify areas of struggle and future potential in others. To ensure technical updates are disseminated and implemented.
- Quality Control: Through planning and completion, ensuring that the tax process complies with applicable standards, is efficient, and effective at minimising the risk of incorrect tax. Ability to identify key issues at planning and completion and to deal with more complex areas, providing cost effective solutions to mitigate. To ensure quality standards are maintained across the department/team.
- Team player: Demonstrated by the ability to work successfully for Principals and across departments. An effective delegator of tasks (whilst continuing to accept responsibility for delegated activities). Demonstrating a positive attitude and acting as a role model. Pro-actively monitoring team workloads and organising solutions as appropriate.
- Client relationships: To be the key contact for client interaction, replacing the fee controller where possible, but knowing when to involve them when necessary. The ability to identify client needs and introduce additional services to clients.
- Fee Generation: A track record of the ability to introduce new clients to Hillier Hopkins through personal contacts, networking or existing client introductions. Confidence to write, stand and present ideas/topics and technical detail to both small and large groups in official presentations.
- Leadership: The ability to carry others with you, through persuasion and gravitas. A consistent and fair decision maker, avoiding prevarication, who demonstrably carries the confidence of the team.
- University degree [Graduate route] minimum 2:1 or above
- A Levels Grades C and above