Overview of Firm
PKF is the 12th largest accountancy brand and the 12th largest audit practice in the UK. We are also an active member of PKF Global, an international network of legally independent accounting firms that gives us an on the ground presence in 150 countries around the world with access to more than 20,000 people across 440 offices globally.
We provide a full range of audit, accountancy, tax and advisory services, and are experts at simplifying complexity. We are particularly well-known for working with complex clients with challenging issues in fast-moving and highly technical areas, such as the insurance industry, the global capital markets and the not for profit sector. Our aim is to understand people, the organisations they run, and what matters to them, so we can simplify complexity and help them achieve their ambitions.
Introduction to the Division
Our tax service line covers five key areas: Corporate Tax, Human Capital, Indirect Tax, Private Clients and Tax Disputes. The team has grown significantly in recent years and has ambitious plans for the future.
We work across all sectors, with specialisms in insurance, property, technology, international businesses, high net worth individuals and globally mobile individuals.
You will be expected to carry out basic tax compliance functions while learning and shadowing from the different teams under the Tax Division.
You will receive comprehensive training in all areas such as:
- ATT Foundation Qualification (self studied, all expenses paid by the firm)
- The tax compliance process in each division where you are placed;
- Background to the Firm’s tax procedures including take on procedures and risk management;
- The Firm’s general procedures (including administrative processes such as timesheets and WIP management);
- Identifying areas where further work is required to manage risk and identify opportunities; and
- Use of relevant software within the divisions, such as Alpha Tax and CCH.
Duties and responsibilities
To assist the members of staff in managing a portfolio of clients; responsibilities might include the following:
- Liaising with clients, usually by phone or email
- Handling client queries (in conjunction with the Tax Manager/Trainees)
- Assistance with client onboarding and administrative procedures
- Assisting with different tax returns for clients
- Learning how to calculate tax provisions in client accounts and liabilities for VAT, income tax or corporation tax purposes
- Supporting clients to achieve tax compliance
- Supporting clients on HMRC related matters
- Learning about wider tax opportunities and issues that face clients
- Opportunities to attend some client meetings and prepare some marketing material
- Analytical thinking
- Ability to generate workable solutions to problems
- Takes responsibility
- Completes work to a high standard of accuracy
- Questions existing ways of doing things
- Completes tasks on time
- Uses initiative
- Able to cope with the pressure of high and varying workloads
- Willing to take advice
- Flexible in approach to work and willing to learn new skills
- Good written skills
- Able to communicate effectively and keep others informed