Overview of Firm
PKF is the 11th largest accountancy brand and the 9th largest audit practice in the UK. We are also an active member of PKF International, a global network of legally independent accounting firms that gives us an on the ground presence in 150 countries around the world with access to more than 20,000 people across 440 offices globally.
We provide a full range of audit, accountancy, tax and advisory services, and are experts at simplifying complexity. We are particularly well-known for working with complex clients with challenging issues in fast-moving and highly technical areas, such as the insurance industry, the global capital markets and the not for profit sector. Our aim is to understand people, the organisations they run, and what matters to them, so we can simplify complexity and help them achieve their ambitions.
Introduction to Financial Services
Our leading financial services practice supports clients across the industry, including wealth and asset management, private equity, insurance, consumer credit and payment services. We have been a trusted adviser to the UK insurance industry for over 150 years and have one of the largest and most experienced teams of insurance experts within the accountancy profession. Established initially as a Lloyd’s practice, our clients now span the entire insurance market – from Lloyd’s syndicates and managing agents to insurance companies, brokers and MGAs.
We have one of the largest financial service audit teams outside of the Big 4 with over 100 audit partners and staff dedicated to supporting the sector. We offer relevant and practical advice to guide and enable our clients to maintain rigorous controls, manage risks and achieve business growth.
We act for many platform-based businesses, including wealth, funds and investment management companies. Our clients include listed businesses and those backed by private equity.
Overview of Role
As a GRC Trainee you will study the ICAEW Level 7 apprenticeship.
In the first 12 months of your training, your practical work experience will be similar to that of the other trainees in the Financial Services division – working on accounting and external audit assignments for Lloyd’s syndicates, insurers and insurance intermediaries. After 12 months, you will specialise in working with our GRC clients, providing internal audit and similar services.
- To begin to develop a knowledge of accounting, external audit and internal audit techniques and show commitment to passing the professional examinations
- To begin to develop an understanding of the Financial Services sector and the associated accounting auditing issues
- To begin to develop an understanding of enterprise-wide risk and control frameworks within the Financial Services sector
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake the work allocated by the assignment leader
- Keep the assignment leader informed about progress at daily meetings
- Ensure attendance at briefing meetings and understand the audit plan
- Complete the work within the budget for each area
- Adopt high professional standards with a business-like approach to work
- Develop a basic knowledge of the laws and regulations affecting FS clients including Lloyd’s, PRA and FCA regulations
- Pass relevant professional examinations first time
- Complete the required CII study exams
- Be able to advise on basic accounting and auditing issues
- Be aware of Institute and internal ethical guidelines
- To accept responsibility for all work performed
- Prepare working papers and draft audit reports to a good standard
- • Minimum of a 2.2 degree, attained or expected
• Minimum of 112 UCAS points (2017 tariff), from three A Levels (excluding general studies), or equivalent
• GCSEs Grade 5/B in Maths and English Language
- Be commercially aware
- Computer literate
- Team player
- Good communication skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Able to work on own initiative
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Work to deadlines
- Ability to spot new business
- Problem solver
- Ability to draft audit reports to a good standard